Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
4 veal shanks, bone-in
½ cup flour
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh thyme
3 tbsp tomato paste
6 cups water
Cooked noodles for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Dredge the veal shanks in the flour.
- Heat a large oven-safe pan with olive oil over medium heat. Cook the veal shanks on both sides for 8 minutes. Remove the veal and set it aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, thyme, and tomato paste to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the water and stir to combine.
- Add the veal back to your pan and let it simmer. Cover and bake for 1 hour and 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with cooked noodles, if desired.
Nutrition: Calories: 400; Fat: 19g; Carbs: 18g; Protein: 39g